Let us guess are you one of those who stay in the dilemma of chopping down their long beautiful nails just because it’s becoming a hassle in your day-to-day work? Or are you one of those who don’t know what kind of nails suit you or maybe don’t know how to take care of them? Are you also facing the worst nightmare of your nails, i.e “breaking nails while typing”? Tired of those cracks in your nails? Don’t you know how to type with long nails?
If you are nodding your head to most of the questions asked above, then STOP!
No need to worry! You have found just the right place for you! We understand how tough it can become to prevent your long, lustrous nails from breaking down. Investing your time and money into growing your nails and losing them just like that can be a lot upsetting.
Well, have you ever wondered why can’t we type with long nails? Yes, you guessed it right! It’s because, in ideal circumstances, we type using the part of the finger that is very close to our nails. So when we have long nails, we need to change our typing pattern. Sounds pretty basic right? Well, it’s because we need more than just adjusting our fingers to type efficiently with long nails.
Typing is certainly going to be everywhere, just pointing the fingers at a certain angle obviously won’t do the trick. Hence, the right kind of hack is required to ace the typing game. In this blog, we will cover everything. First things first:
How to Type with Long Nails?
Type with your fingers and not fingernails. A lot of people make the mistake of typing with their fingernails. This can backlash. Not only will you break your nails, but it also takes a lot of time to do so. While typing on a keyboard straighten your fingers and then continue typing. To ensure a natural placement of fingers, make sure your elbow is at 90°.
While you may have to compromise on your speed, but you can focus on precision. By saving time from typos, you can be faster.
Also, remember to practice. While touch type can be all fancy, precision comes from practice.
How to Type on a Phone with Long Nails?
Typing on a phone can be hectic as much as or even more than typing on a keyboard. So for that, you can use a universal stylus. These pens take away the stress of typing. In this way, you don’t have to worry about breaking nails or typos.
Another method could be to type using the index finger of your more dominant hand while holding the phone with your less dominant hand. This may decrease your speed, but you will have the maximum accuracy.
You can also place your phone on a table and text with the indices’ fingers of both hands. Keep in mind to type slowly. It is far preferable to slow down your typing speed to avoid breaking your nails or making typos. With proper technique and practice, you should be able to effectively type on your text or keyboard to the device with long nails.
Again practice is the key. Keep practicing and surely you will get the results in no time. Try typing on any topic or stories randomly on your PC or laptop to ace your typing game!
How to Type with Long Fake or Acrylic Nails?
“But what to do in case I use acrylic nails?”
Going through the same dilemma don’t worry a bit, we have suggestions for those as well! If you keep on running into typing issues, it is suggested that you change the shape of the nails that you wear.
If you are a beginner, round nails will be the best option. They simulate the natural shape of our nails and you can ease into it slowly. Start with using the short ones.
Oval nails are a step up from round nails in that they are typically available in longer lengths and have a wider body that may be more difficult to manage on the keyboard. These nails will almost certainly cause you to change your typing style, which is good practice for when you start wearing larger, bolder shapes.
Stilleto nails can be unusual for office goers and contact lens wearers. The tip of these nails is not very wide and therefore, the chances of going wrong are less.
Square nails don’t have to belong, but their width is an issue for those trying to master the art of fast, accurate typing. You will most likely make mistakes at first, forcing you to slow down and concentrate on precision. Once you’re up to speed, you can increase the length and put yourself to the test.
As press-on nails are easy to use, they don’t require major investments. You can use them whenever you want to.
Some Important Tips For Typing With Long Nails:
To begin, when typing with acrylic nails, you must change your typing form. We usually type with the tips of our fingers, but with long nails, it’s easier to slip, miss, and end up with a slew of typos.
Straighten your fingers slightly so that when you type, the pads of your fingers rather than the tips of your fingers glide across the keys. This will not only help you, but it will also help others.
Don’t be very aggressive while typing.
Should I get Acrylic or Fake Nails?
Acrylic nails are set on our actual nails with a mixture of liquid and powder. Once it is done, the nails are filed to emulate the natural shape. After the nails are set, a base coat, nail color, and topcoat are put on each nail.
Although gel and acrylic nails can produce similar results, there are significant differences between the two nail styles.
As previously stated, gel nails are typically created by brushing coats of polish onto your natural nails and curing them with a UV lamp.
Once completed, gel nails typically last for 14 days without chipping. Gel nails may begin to peel or lift at the corners near the end of this period.
Acrylic nails, on the other hand, provide a hard, protective layer due to the powder and liquid hybrid mixture used to create them.
Because acrylic nails are so strong, you won’t have to worry about your nails cracking, breaking, or lifting while wearing them.
Acrylic nails, on the other hand, appear less natural than gel nails. These nails are also difficult to remove without damaging your nails.
How to Cut Acrylic Nails at Home: Tips
- Use clippers and not scissors
- Use large clippers to cut one side, then the middle, and the remaining portion in the end.
- Cut your nails in small amounts at a time to prevent diagonal splitting.
- Diagonal cuts can be dangerous if they are on the inner side of the nail that can cause bleeding.
- Never cut your nails through the natural curvature. This can lead to the nails splitting in the middle.
- Your nails might seem unruly after they have been cut. To settle those down file your nails.
- Use thin and profiled files on the nails.
- Cheap and low-quality files can cause damage to your nails.
- Move the file slowly from one edge to another.
- Try moving it diagonally after this is done to allow a smoother finish.
- Don’t try to do it fast. Try taking it slow.
- If you are not attentive, you might end up with damaged and unsettled nails.
- Although filing is important, diagonal filing frequently causes wear and tear on the nail polish, primarily on the acrylic nail’s tip.
- Unfortunately, in most cases, this can result in cracks and even flakes, which many people mistake for signs of acrylic nail decay.
- However, in your case, it was only minor damage caused by the diagonal angle filing, and fortunately, it is easily repaired.
Some Hacks for nails:
- Use your knuckles to apply hair products. While applying the gel, you can use your knuckles to scoop out the gel. In this way, it will end up on your fingers and not on your nails.
- Knuckles will again come to your rescue if you have to fit sheets under a bed. You won’t lose a nail in this process.
- While applying lotions, you can use the top of your nail as scoops. This way the gel can never get stuck on the lower side of your nails.
- These nails can come at work to poke through the tape and open boxes. They come in handy while applying lashes as well as while opening foil lids.
- Tweezers can also help you out. They can also be helpful in deep conditioning the scalp, threading the sewing machine, braiding, and removing contacts.
- Nails can also help with scalp massaging.
- A new or semi-new set is ideal for fixing your hair on the go. If you have bangs or struggle with flyaways, this hack is for you. If you need a fill-in, you should avoid this hack because strands of hair may become stuck in your nails.
Can you Write with Fake Nails?
It all depends on the length of the fake nails. If they’re short, writing shouldn’t be a problem unless you have an oddly-shaped pen. If you have long nails, try changing the way you hold pens or pencils.
Keep your nails long only to a point that you can grip your pen easily.
Keeping your thumb-nails short can be an option as well. This can be done to avoid the thumb-nail from touching the body of the pen.
Keep long nails for a short period. If the kind of work you do requires a lot of writing or typing, try keeping your nails short as they might create a hindrance.
Different own Holding Styles:
This understanding is actively promoted by many teachers. The thumb and forefinger act like pincers in the dynamic tripod grip, gripping the barrel of the pencil near its tip.
The third finger acts as a brace for the forefinger as it moves. On the writing surface, the fourth and fifth fingers serve as a stabilizing base.
The thumb and first two fingers are used in the second most common grip pattern, which is similar to the dynamic tripod.
The distinction is that the thumb crosses the pencil’s barrel, clamping it to the forefinger. With this grip, the thumb can even wrap around the forefinger.
The thumb is not involved in manipulating the pencil to form letters because of its position. The outside part of the hand is braced by the fourth and fifth fingers.
The thumb and first three fingers are used to grip the pencil in this grip pattern. Only the pinky finger and the outside of the hand are stable.
The thumb does not cross. It helps the other three fingers direct the pencil.
The thumb wraps across the barrel of the pencil in a lateral quadruped grip, and the pencil rests on the top of the ring finger.
The fingers collaborate to direct the pencil, and the thumb’s primary function is to keep the pencil in place against the forefinger.
Letters and shapes with lateral grips can be created more actively by the muscles of the wrists and forearms.
Are Long Nails Unprofessional?
This is a subjective question and differed from person to person and also the kind of work you do. Long nails might be dirty if not washed properly.
Now if you are in healthcare or are a homemaker or a chef, it might not be a great idea unless you are maintaining good hygiene or if you are going for an interview or its the first meeting with some professional, for your dismay, long nails might not be an option for you. For such events, nail beds are usually supposed to be short and clean.
Also if your work entails a lot of typing, long nails can hinder that as well. However, if you have got the hang of typing with long nails, it is fine, and even if you don’t just follow the steps discussed above and it will certainly help you to type with long nails without them being damaged.
Nails length might make you appear unprofessional as length is the key factor for nails to produce sound and the kind of sound that comes with typing in these long nails can be annoying for some, hence making you seem tardy or irritating in a professional environment.
Well to summarise the whole point we can say that your nails should not be dirty, well maintained, should not make a lot of noise and not to mention the nail beds should be hygenic. If you are following all these steps surely you won’t come as some unprofessional in a professional environment.
Well since we are talking about unprofessional, you may also like to read:
Disadvantages of Having Long Nails:
According to a recent study conducted by the Infectious Disease Society of America, nails that are longer than three millimeters beyond the tip of the finger harbor harmful bacteria and yeast.
According to the study, most people do not wash their hands thoroughly enough to remove all of the germs under their nails.
To get rid of unseen germs, people should spend at least 15 seconds washing their hands and cleaning underneath their nails, according to Dr. Carol A. Kauffman, co-author of the study.
Every day, your hands come into contact with hundreds of objects, and you use them for activities such as cooking and eating.
Long nails have the potential to cause a variety of health issues because they are a perfect breeding ground for bacteria.
Some Other Disadvantages:
- When your nails become entangled in zippers, windows, or other similar objects, you risk injuring yourself.
- When you type with longer fingernails, you may strain your fingers. Texting on your phone also takes longer.
- When you eat with your hands and have long nails, bacteria and other infectious agents can enter your system.
- You must constantly worry about keeping your nails in good condition.
- You can avoid inadvertently injuring yourself or scratching your skin with your nails.
- You have a difficult time grasping anything. To avoid breaking your nails, you end up dropping a lot of things.
- Buttons that can be done and undone
- Taking up coins or other small objects
- Taking your card out of a cash machine
- Artificial nails are susceptible to infections if they are worn too long.
Here Are Some Pointers to Help You Keep Your Nails in Good Condition:
- Avoid using your nails to open objects that can scrape off a portion of your nail, leaving it sharp and dangerous.
- Wear gloves when cooking, cleaning, and washing to prevent germs from accumulating under your fingernails.
- Avoid biting your nails because it is a bad habit that allows germs into your body.
- Keep your nail beds clean.
- Eat a nutritious diet enriched with vitamins and calcium to keep your nails healthy.
- Drink sufficient amounts of water to keep your nails hydrated.
- If your job requires a lot of typing, you must be careful how you type. Make certain that your nails do not come into contact with the keypads.
- This is because prolonged contact with these keypads can cause your nails to become brittle, causing them to tear or break at the slightest provocation.
Advantages of Having Long Nails:
When you have shorter nails, you cut, trim, and file them regularly, but when you have longer nails, you hardly ever trim or file them, especially when they are long and healthy.
The possibilities of having to try every nail art style on your long nails are mind-boggling. Although nail art is not limited to people with longer nails, the aesthetic beauty it adds when your nails are long is quite amazing.
Longer nails are a perfect nipper for slicing off packaging tapes. Nails can also be used to take off stickers and labels.
Having or growing long nails allows a doctor to determine whether or not a person is healthy. A chip or sudden coloration on your nails, for example, could indicate a lack of specific vitamins or nutrients in your diet.
With all this being said, these are some of the most effective hacks to type with long nails. We are sure that other than typing, there are other kinds of work that require our attention.
The right kind of ways needs to be followed for doing those tasks.
Whether it is typing, combing, cleaning, cooking, taking care of our nails is extremely important. Irrespective of their size, we must ensure we maintain the right kind of hygiene when it comes to nails.